These 5 free apps make it easy to improve your writing. I finished teaching a class in June at Westmont College and was reminded once again that the many people do not know how to write coherent sentences! (Yes, I'm a snobby former-and-eternal English major.) Being a good writer is a commitment, and there are some great resources available in this link. Should you want even MORE resources, I highly recommend my friend Nancy's blog.
Want to understand the current migration crisis, economic trade concerns, and recent Central American history? Given how divisive and complex these issues are, I often want to run and hide. But these two podcasts fed my brain big-time. So I recommend:
- Dr. Margaret Peters on Trading Barriers. This woman is a scholar at UCLA, trained at Stanford, and previously taught at Yale. I found this interview riveting and enlightening.
- The Controversial History of United Fruit. This comes from Harvard Business Review and helps to explain the massive instability now existing in Central America, giving some of the reasons for the current migrant crisis south of our border. It is crucial that we understand and educate others about the context around these huge and difficult issues.
Our 5 Favorite Google Docs Resume Templates (and How to Make Them Work for You). And now from the sublime (migration crisis) to the mundane... I am frequently asked by clients for assistance in transitioning careers or positions. Yet rules for job-searching have really changed in the last 10 years due to the ever-expanding power of technology, the changes in the economy that have emerged since the financial downturn of 2009, and the shifting values of Millennials. I liked this article because it provides templates for some really good-looking resumes. Take a look; at minimum, you should keep your resume up-to-date and these templates might give a tremendous facelift to yours.
- StrengthsFinder Theme Thursday podcasts, Season Five. They are powering through all 34 in a new and creative way. I recommend them very much.
- Amazon's 14 Leadership Principles. Clean and clear.
- Pop Culture Happy Hour. Fun and so easy to listen to. Keeps me up on what the cool kids like.
- NoiseTrade and Paste. Speaking of cool kids, this is a GREAT website for free music and reviews of books, films, shows, and music. This is a FAVORITE.
Food for Thought.
Treat others as they want to be treated.
Thanks for reading... please feel free to share with others and send me feedback at firstname.lastname@example.org. Happy, happy August ~ get out there and have some adventures!